View Single Post
Old 08-19-19, 02:00 PM
Ged117

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Superbe, 1980 Peugeot AO8, 1990 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
This is why I am excited to use my 1950 Raleigh Superbe for my 10km commute along paved cycle paths this fall. It has the 3 speed IGH with dynohub but also an external 3 speed derailer, so that'll make it a more versatile rider for fair season riding in the Ottawa valley hills. My Peugeot AO8 makes for a great commuter. I'm going to ride it in rainy weather (KoolStop pads) this fall, and build it a new alloy wheelset in October. I'll be able to use my studded winter tires once I build it 700c wheels - I just gotta set the frame and build my Sturmey four-speed hub into the new wheel. Folks really like the '70s Peugeots for commuting, and I am no different. I think it'll be much improved in terms of ride once I replace the steel wheels. It will be my winter or rough-weather, all around rider.

Yes it is French and can be difficult, but I have a cotter press for my British bike, so it helps already with the Peugeot and its cottered crank. Everything else is small potatoes by comparison. As this thread and others like it prove, there is no shortage of interesting old bicycles for general use. Steel is real