Old 09-07-19, 07:54 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92 View Post
Sounds like this is a moot discussion. Just saw unofficial announcement claiming the ride in 2020 will have a start in Houston, a start in Austin, an overnight for both groups in LaGrange, and a finish at Kyle Field in College Station. Despite being an Aggie, my initial reaction is negative. I will wait for more details, but I am somewhat disappointed if this is true.
In this case the unofficial announcement is correct. The official announcement will be made on September 19th, but there was an early announcement at the Tour of Champions ride last weekend.

The negative comments about COTA are a big part of why the MS150 decided to move. There were also scheduling problems with COTA. The MotoGP race, an event much larger than the MS150, falls in the middle of April. If the MotoGP date fell on the same weekend as the MS150, our ride was out. That is why the MS150 moved to the end of April, to try and avoid date conflicts with MotoGP. Still, the MS150 has to lock in a date around the end of May with a lot of site owners and vendors. MotoGP waits until August or so to announce its date. This caused a lot of problems with the ride the past two years, so this is another reason for the move.

The folks that run COTA are nice people, but in the end, the MS150 was just another group renting space for the weekend. Texas A&M really wants the MS150 to come to Kyle field. Meeting with them have been good, and they are enthusiastically pulling out the proverbial red carpet to welcome the ride and help make it a success.

I find it kind of interesting that after all the negative comments about COTA, there are folks who don't like it that the ride is moving. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The Capitol finish line was great, even iconic. But it is gone. The streets and parking lots where the finish line stood are gone. New construction and renovation will leave nothing to come back to. Check it out yourself here: Capito Plan

So the MS150 either finds a new finish line or gets cancelled permanently. I prefer the former.

Day 1 out of Houston will not change at all.

There will be a start in Austin on Day 1. It will follow the old La Grange - Austin route from years past. The start line in Austin is being worked out, but nothing is definite enough yet to say anything.

The Day 1 route from Austin will go through Bastrop-Beuscher State Park in the reverse direction from past years and end up in La Grange.

On Day 2 everyone rides to Kyle Field. The ride crosses 290 in Burton, goes through Sommerville and Snook, and ends at Kyle Field. Riders will enter Kyle field, and do a lap around the fields perimeter. The parking lot on the South side of the field will be set up as the Team tent area.

Last edited by Tanstaafl; 09-12-19 at 07:25 AM.