View Single Post
Old 01-24-20, 08:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve06119
Has anyone thought about getting rid of their vehicle and becoming cycle dependent?...Be good to get your thoughts...
I think it's a valid question to ask in the Commuting Forum. Obviously the goal of folks in the Car Free forum is to become (or stay) car free. But what about bike commuters?

The title of this post is "Commitment to Commuter Cycling" and the question is about "becoming cycle dependent".

It may seem like a logical progression from bike commuting to a car-free existence. After all, bike commuters are car-free commuters, which usually means commuting to work, or a regularly visited location; but the term "commuting" is vague or broad enough to encompass driving or travel in general. But I don't think one follows the other.

For me, and I assume many others, biking to work is how I fit fitness into my daily schedule. My drive to and from work takes about 50 minutes out of my day. My bike ride to and from work takes about an hour and a half of riding (plus another 30 min for changing, etc.). Thats 90 minutes of exercise for only 40 extra minutes traveling. Plus unlike a stationary bike or treadmill, once I get going I can't stop halfway if I'm not feeling it.

And since some semblance of fitness is my goal and I live in a walkable neighborhood I will also walk or bike to the grocery store when buying few enough items to carry home on foot or in my bike baskets. I will also walk to lunch on workdays, which means 15-20 minutes each way depending on where I'm going, and sometimes biking further. On paydays I will bike three miles at lunch to hit two banks and lunch. But again, my goal is staying fit-ish. And that is why I also take in a weekend ride or two, just for the sheer joy of it also.

I know there are some who bike to reduce their impact on the environment, or to keep from enriching certain industries or countries, but those are not my prime motivators.

But I do drive...and I see no practical alternative to most of it.

While I do bike in snow , ice and rain year-round I do have limits: 5F and 3-inches of snow. Below 5F it is too dangerous if I have to stop due to mechanical or physical issues, and above 3-inches my speed drops to walking speed. If it's too icy to drive and too cold to bike, I will take the bus, but that takes up to 90 minutes each way!

And then there is the issue of family commitments. When I was young and single I could have probably been car free. But my wife dosen't bike and a tandem would only lead to divorce, so that makes biking out for dinner or entertainment with her impossible. If one has young children they need to ferry around, a cargo bike or a bike with a trailer may work in some situations, but not mine. We have had ongoing medical conditions in the family that require getting across town or state quickly. For the last couple of years we have been taking care of my 90-year old mother-in-law who no longer drives and can barely walk. And, heck, I'm almost 60, and am keenly aware of wear and tear on my body, and a diminishing of achievable physical limits.

Family-sized grocery runs and other shopping, after-school sports and activities, socializing, get-togethers and entertainment are all possible without a car, but they require an enourmous time commitment or reliance on public transportation or cabs, ride shares, etc, which in themselves require time and monetary commitments.

And then there's the funk and mess of days filled with cycling.

I realize that some people are in situations that precludes car ownership, and I sympathize with them. Others have made a decision to live car-free and I admire that kind of commitment if it doesn't negatively impact their families.

Time, weather, distance local topography and cargo and passenger-carrying ability, funk and mess...for a truly car-free life these require the kind of committment I am not willing to make, and fortunately, I don't have to.

But I am willing, able and eager to bike to work and back. It is a great joy, and yields the level of fitness I desire to enjoy life and be healthy enough to be there for my family.
Likes For BobbyG: