View Single Post
Old 05-28-20, 08:12 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
who cares? it's his bike. I would love to do it that way, like I did in the 70s, but my bikes have stuff on the bars that would hit the ground before the bars, so I just lay my bike down. side note: if you know exactly where the puncture is like w/ a thumbtack you don't even have to remove the wheel from the bike. keep the bike anyway you like, get the bead off, sneak the tube out, patch the hole, sneak it back in, get that part of the bead back on, & inflate!
What you hinted at is an old way that was done years ago when cruiser bikes with balloon tires were ruling the streets, it's a way an adult taught me when I was 8 years old how to patch a tube without taking the wheel off. All you do, if you know where the offending hole is, i s to remove half the bead with the hole in the center area of the half, then you pull out about a quarter of the tube, again the hole should be in the center, then patch and reinstall. I still do it this way, with a road bike it's a bit more difficult than it is with fatter tires, but it can still be done,
!