Old 08-14-19, 04:41 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Do you bike on vacation?"

I try to include cycling in on every trip away from home, even including those to go away to professional conferences. Since I don't fly, it's easy to bring my own bike in the SUV.
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I'm a renter - never actually shipped a bike when flying somewhere. The cost of the actual shipping part usually isn't the issue - more the hassle of disassembly/reassembly and my feeling that airline shipping is much more likely to muck something up than a bike rental place...

For the STP I brought my own seat with me and adjusted the seat position to be just about identical to my home bike - worked great. I would rather be riding my own bike on doing 200 miles over 2 days, but that kept my rear end happy.

It is a personal trade off of cost, hassle and how you feel about riding on random bikes. I've actually never had anything go wrong renting bikes (other than e forgetting to remove my GPS mount before returning the rental bike...) and I feel like that would not have been the case if I had shipped bikes back and forth over all those trips.
For a 400 mile drive to Pennsylvania for an organized bicycling weekend, I posted:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Yeah, I've never been and never intend to become that organized. I'll be there. That's about all I need to know at this point.
Well you should see my packing list…hate to arrive on time, having forgotten my bike (helmet, gloves, shoes, pump, tools, shorts, water bottle, computer, lights, extra valve stem caps never happened.
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I travel a bit for work and have rented a few times (only domestically in the states). Mostly with success.

Here are the things I will bring if I know I am renting -

1. Your own Saddle - As others have said. You probably have gone through 4 or 5 trying to find the one that fits you. Why leave it at home and hope the rental saddle is as comfy as your own?

2. Pedals & Shoes - You already have your cleats set up and your shoes are comfy. Easy to pack and pedals can go inside your shoes.

3. Lights - Not a must but some rental companies charge extra for these and they are light and easy to pack. Nice to not to have to worry about.

4. Saddle Bag - I like to have a minimal toolset and spare tube/patch kit with me. Most rental places will give you a patch kit and co2 cartridges but I like having my tools to dial in the bike as needed. Remember - You cannot fly with CO2. Get some from the rental house.

5. Helmet and gloves - I've never packed these but I guess you could if you are particular about fit and comfort.

If you have your saddle, pedals and shoes, almost everything else could be dialed in. I would make sure to take some measurements (Specifically - BB to Saddle and Tip of Saddle to center of hanlebars) and let the bike shop know those before traveling.

If you are just renting for a couple of days to adventure around and no serious riding then most of this is not really necessary. (Although consider bringing a saddle and lights for night riding)
I also bring a rear view (Take-Look) mirror.

BTW,
...Here in Boston, my LBS, Back Bay Bikes, located conveniently on the Green Line Subway in Back Bay does rent quality hybrids and road bikes, and I think will attach pedals at least.

A major hassle of renting, is to locate and inquire about rentals, in a city you don’t know, find your way to the shop from where you are staying, and return it and get to your departure point.
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I travel a bit for work and have rented a few times (only domestically in the states). Mostly with success....

My experiences renting -...

Boston - Back Bay Bike shop - Good shop, good support but a little pricey. Community Bike Supply - I dont think these guys had anything but Hybrids and Cruisers for rentals but were great to rent from and not too pricey.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-14-19 at 04:46 PM.