Thread: YTD on track
View Single Post
Old 09-09-20, 08:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I can understand that incentive. There a place I like to at least once a year that I like to ride out to for a treat of eats, but being that it means riding thru a rough area coupled with the "times" of unrest, it isn't ideal to go solo & for just anyone to ride along isn't conducive just in case something were to come up. Did it solo twice, & once I experienced a flat. During the quickest flat repair I could manage, I had some unwanted peoples come up to me. Having a second person of my mindset makes that type of thing not a big deal, but solo, it can elevate the moment.
The other time I had no road side fixes to execute, but did draw unwanted attention that bumped the cardio up a few notches to get outta dodge. Knowing the ways (routes) is very beneficial, but it still was more "exciting" than I would want to do again solo or with the unprepared rider. I still am contemplating doing it solo again, just because 90% of the ride is absolutely nice.

There are cities I will route around even if it's a long way out of the way or involves a huge climb precisely because I fear the flat tire scenario. I've noted that "rough" areas also tend to have "rough" roads with tons of potholes and debris. I feel pretty safe while I'm moving, but I don't want to get stuck there.
Likes For livedarklions: