Old 05-27-19, 01:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
No I haven't placed my last online order of Shimano stuff.

If I did, then I would have to go to Campy, SRAM, or Microshift.
Campy is a non starter due to it being so limited in availability, it costing more than I want, and seeming old in my mind.
SRAM is a non starter because I just don't care to figure out new stuff.
Microshift would be fine if there were more options and a wider range of drivetrain components.

Of the 3, I really would be good with microshift as i like their road shifters up to 10sp. The 11sp groups use a thumb button though. Why the design change?...odd. if their 11sp shifters used the same dedicated 2 paddle design as the lower groups, I would be game. Exposed shift cables is also lame, given how long others have tucked then under the tape.

I'll just buy shimano stuff where I can for the lowest price I can. It'll most likely be ebay.

What I won't do is spend much time bemoaning the situation. I find it interesting from a global supply and trade perspective and like learning about it because I'm a nerd, but I really can't see myself getting worked up over it.

The changes will increase the cost of building a built by $200 or so. That's nothing to ignore, but it's also not insurmountable.