Old 11-27-19, 11:32 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 853:

The snow storm predicted to start yesterday morning didn't arrive until about 4 PM. As a result, by the time I rode home last night there was only about an inch of snow on the ground. The wind, however, was as brutal as they predicted. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to ride the 8 miles home straight into it.

This morning the temp was 30F. We only received about 3 inches of snow (compared to the 5-7" they were predicting.) I got up early to snowblow the driveway. Headed out on the bike a few minutes early as well because I knew the unplowed streets and MUP would slow me down a bit.

Today was the first time I really got to use the fat bike for what it was intended. It really smoothed out the frozen ruts left in the snow from tire tracks and foot traffic. There were a few stretches where I knew from past experience that my old winter bike would only be able to go 4-5 mph, and I looked down and the fat bike was doing 7 mph. Still pathetically slow, but a good percentage faster.

I probably could have ridden even faster, but the brutal wind was still there and once again I was heading straight into it. A couple gusts brought me to a complete stop and forced me to put a foot down to keep from falling over. I arrived at my desk at 7:59 so I left at about the perfect time for the conditions.