View Single Post
Old 03-03-09, 07:29 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SS_rider
i have a question for everyone: i have a single-speed road bike and i was wondering what the cheapest/easiest way to turn it into a road bike was.
i've been to a lot of LBS's and they have given me price ranges from $10-$150
Sorry - just noticed this. Could you post some pictures, especially of the rear dropouts. Off the bat you'll need something in the neighborhood of:

If you really want to skimp you can get go to your lbs and get:
- cheap top mount shifters
- front and rear deraileurs from the used bin
- used brake calipers
- brake & deraileur cables and housing
- used crank set (I'd go with a triple and check out a fitting site for the right length, when I went up to 175 I felt a HUGE difference (I'm 6-1") from the 170s - I'd never go back) and:
- have them install a sealed bottom bracket so you can have them worry about the right spacing based on the cranks
- ($10 shifters, $40 deraileurs, $25 for brakes, $25 brakes and housing, $25 for bb, $25 labor, $25 crank set, $20 for gently used chainrings laying around (or could spend $60 for new ones there, get steel they're much stronger (I've bent the aluminum ones))).

brake handles ($15)

cassette ($20) and chain ($10 - 6/7/8 are all the same size and are thicker than 9 and 10 speed (which I tend to snap).

Total on the 'group' - $215.

Another option is to buy a 'group' which will be all those things together and better shifters that will probably start around $400.

It's the year of the enema!