Old 09-16-19, 10:49 AM
hbc
oTo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road bikes or gravel bike for Houston commute?

5'8". Approximately 32" inseam.Planning to use for commute 3 miles each way. Weekend rides on paved bike paths and between neighbourhoods (45min rides). Location is Houston: hot, humid, sometimes rainy days and terrible roads and broken sidewalks.

Looking to get something with a drop bar (never owned one) but concerned about road bike's durability at Houston roads (flats? maybe unnecessarily worrying?). Looking something that can go fast when I want to but also be able to take some rough roads. It'll be my only do everything bike. Not looking to race, so I narrowed down to endurance type or gravel type road bikes for the less aggressive ride positioning and wider tires for comfort. Tried looking on fb marketplace/offerup/craigslist, nothing of good value came up. Good used options are $700ish and more than a few years old. My budget is $600 to $1200.

These would be purchased new from a lbs or REI [*see actual prices below*]:

linky: 99spokes.com/compare?bikes=giant-contend-3-2020;*z.MD,cannondale-topstone-sora-2019,specialized-ruby-2018,cannondale-synapse-disc-tiagra-2019

$1050: '19 Cannondale Topstone Sora. Is a gravel bike necessary or will it just be dead weight and excessively slow tires? I like having the options of putting on fenders and rack which is not an option on the Contend or Ruby.+700x40c tires (others are 28).

$680: '20 Giant Contend 3 Claris. My next option was to go for the cheapest entry level road bike.+Save a lot of money. -Claris, AL fork and Rim Brakes.

$1100: '18 Specialized Ruby Tiagra [USED but from lbs, almost new]. Had to consider this since it would be a full carbon frame and still be under $1.2k. My only worry is that it is a women's frame? But I was told it is very similar to the Roubaix version and they will change out the saddle. The handlebars did look narrower.+Carbon frame, interesting front suspension. -No mount points, 2018 model, used, women's geometry. More expensive than Contend.

$1100: '19 Cannondale Synapse Tiagra [on sale on REI]. Not as much of a price cut as the Ruby but it looks like it has mount points for fenders and rack on the aluminum frame.+Road bike with mounts -Not sure of REI after sales service, more expensive than Contend.

I've tried riding all the bikes, and a few others except for the Synapse. I liked all of the rides. And honestly anything is an improvement from my old fully rigid Specialized mtn bike from the 90s.Other bikes tried but eliminated because of price/similarity to those 4 listed above: Cannondale CAAD Optimo Claris, Giant Escape (flat bar), All-City Space Horse (heavy but smooth riding), 2012 Specialized CruX Expert

Any advice on narrowing down my choice? Right now I'm between the Topstone and Contend (buying at full price MSRP) , but the Ruby and Synapse are on discount near me and look like great deals for the same money as the Topstone. Also need help deciding to go for endurance road bike or gravel bike. Or should I hold out and wait for some used bike to appear on craigslist etc? I'm also hesitant to spend so much on a commuting bike, since it's a replacement for one that's stolen (was stored on apt balcony, will now keep indoors) and maybe stolen again lol.

Edit: at work I will lock it up in an outdoor sheltered carport in a secured/fenced lot, pretty safe. At home I will now store it indoors, also safe. If it gets stolen it will most likely happen if I leave it locked outside while I'm inside a store etc.

Last edited by hbc; 09-16-19 at 10:57 AM.