Old 08-12-20, 05:30 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Not to discourage you but if cost is a concern you are better off using a modern frame with modern components, and vice versa. Vintage frames require a fair amount of modification to use modern components. You are better off leaving them as they are if cost is a concern, or starting with a modern bike if you want modern parts. Frames before the mid to late 90s used different hub spacing than modern, they had quill stems, the geometry did not allow slammed stems.

Components don't make a bike faster anyway. It's mostly in the rider of course. AFA the bike, things that matter most are wheels, tires and frame.

The question you ask is bit like which flower is the prettiest.
with respect this has not been my experience. in order to go modern with my 85 team miyata, the only mod i had to do was cold set the frame to 130mm in this case I had a LBS/Frame builder do it, but i have done the same before using the sheldon brown method. The only other mod i can think of is nutted to recessed brakes and this is another very simple one......drill out back brake hole of fork, put rear brake with long recessed nut on the fork, put front brake with nut on rear.

but over all the nicer the frrame the nicer the end result

here is 85 team miyata with 105 5800 11 speed, compact crank and 30mm tires