Old 03-06-16, 07:13 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Zwift is just one of a few new competitive outlets that are sucking up potential road racers.
From a participatory standpoint they're generally better products that provide a better value to the consumer....

So I'm not sure if Zwift is actually going to reduce USAC participation but if it provides a better experience, I would imagine that it would. People say the same thing about local group rides. People want to ride from their local area, cherry pick the course where they're strong and "race" against their mates.
Hmm.... I must be some kind of freak, because I didn't take up road racing because it was a "competitive outlet" or any kind of "consumer product." I picked it up because I enjoy riding bikes fast with other people, in organized fashion, with a predetermined start and finish and all that. I love to pass people, and admittedly the competition is exciting, but I don't mind if others "win." And I love that it's outdoors.

If some would-be road racers don't appreciate sharing a real road, out in the elements with other riders just inches away (and probably need a trainer to hold a line anyhow) who needs 'em?