Old 12-10-17, 07:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickolassc
I get it, I didn't get the same bike he's looking at, but he asked about fairdale, and some of the points still stand, as far as I know, there's no way to know the tubing thickness on the Fairdales, they can make all the claims they want about their special chromoly, but in reality, chromoly is chromoly as a material, especially unbranded chromoly where you have to assume it has bottom tier tensile strength, all that really matters to the ride is geometry and thickness and without those numbers, it's a gamble. Same goes for All City. I feel like I fell for Fairdale marketing when I could have gone with something more known from Soma, BM, Surly, etc and that's what I did: I replaced the Fairdale weekender with a New Albion Homebrew, which is virtually the same bike as the Soma Smoothie ES, except lest costly and narrow tubing and made from a known tubeset, that is, tange champion 2. The ride is twice as nice--So nice I'm selling my Cannondale synapse alloy because I no longer need or even desire to ride it.

If he were to get a known quantity, such as a used Lemond with 853 tubing, he'd probably be better off than taking a chance on a fairdale, which is just basic chromoly and nothing special. However, Lemonds are special and I see used good condition Lemond Reynolds 853 framesets with 1 1/8" carbon forks on ebay in 58, 59, and 60 right now for $299 plus shipping.
I don't make most of the assumptions you make here, and wouldn't be comfortable making the conclusions you do even if I did. I'm definitely not comfortable making generalizations based on unknowns.

What I do know is that Fairdale is an Odyssey brand, as in Odyssey BMX, the company which revolutionized BMX with their 41 Thermal forks back in the '90s. Using a post-weld heat treating process, they made-- and still do-- light and strong forks, so strong, in fact, they've offered a lifetime warranty since they were intro'd. Sunday is probably the best street BMX brand out there, and they use the 41 Thermal tubes for their legendary, unbreakable frames. Point being, Fairdale has some serious metalworking chops behind the brand, and it's straight-up foolish to presume their marketing copy on the Drawnright tubes is just fluff and untrue.