Old 06-24-18, 09:22 PM
rutabaga1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Advice from experienced riders on this bike?

Hi y'all,

I'm a decent (intermediate-plus) recreational rider who's been riding for a many years but for the last 9 years, I've been raising two young kids and only riding a few times a year. Have been using a 2003 FS Rockhopper 26" which has given me a good ride but is on its last legs. And I'm hoping to ride more and ready to buy a new bike.

I'm not racing and speed isn't my particular focus - I love riding up hills, love being in the woods, love figuring out how to get down tricky stuff in one piece.

I think my budget is probably $1000 max and maybe I could stretch a bit beyond that. I bought a road bike from BikesDirect and found it to be a good way to "extend" my budget beyond what I could buy locally. So I've looked there first.

I was originally looking at low-end FS bikes but was convinced that at this price range, I should really buy a hardtail. And I think for my needs, a hardtail should be fine. (It's where I started, after all).

I came across this Motobecane

Motobecane Fantom 29 Shimano XT M8000 1x11
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29 Shimano XT M8000 1x11 SRAM NX 1x11, WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible 29er Mountain Bikes

Which seems like it has decent components for the price (?). I saw some comments that the frame geometry is somewhat outdated but I don't know enough to really evaluate that. Should I be concerned?

I also thought about this one:

Motobecane NEW Fantom Boost ELITE
Save Up to 60% Off Plus FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane NEW Fantom Boost ELITE NEW 27.5 PLUS Wheel Bicycles, Fat Bikes, Boost Mountain Bikes

I rode a friend's (much much nicer) bike with 2.75" tires and it was amazing how it flowed over rocks and other obstacles. I gather this isn't ideal for high-speed cornering but I don't honestly corner that fast... Obviously the components are crappier but maybe good enough?

Or are there other hardtails in the price range I should be looking at?

Advice would be super awesome. Thank you!

j