View Single Post
Old 07-26-19, 09:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have not seen any that are the right diameter and also have a dimple for the part of the cage that holds it in the cage.

But I have used some bottles that were smaller diameter. I cut some rubber strips from an old inner tube, put some tension on those rubber strips and wrapped the strips around the bottle a few times to get the right diameter for the cage, then wrapped electrical tape around the rubber strips to keep the rubber strips in place. And, to reduce or get rid of rattle, put a rectangle on it held on with tape at the top where the cage bends into the bottle.

In the photo, I had some yellow electrical tape, used that. But this method takes some time to get it right, the number of layers of rubber inner tube strips, exact placement of the strips, etc. The way the bottle is turned in the photo you can't see the extra tape and rubber rectangle at the top of the cage.

These bottles are half liter, I have two. Thus, I do not use them both on really hot days because I want more capacity. But on a cold morning I can carry a half liter of not-to-hot coffee and a larger bottle of water for later when I want more water capacity.

Before I used the inner tube rubber strip trick, I tried some bottles in some of those thin foam can holders that are often handed out as marketing trinkets, they also worked but not quite as well. This photo from a rainy muddy days is over 5 years old.

Likes For Tourist in MSN: