View Single Post
Old 07-30-19, 09:10 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Just ride the bike. Shimano stuff all shifts good.
If it's not working good, hit it with a little WD40 or CLP.
Readjust.
Ride the bike.

Utmost importance is to have the rear wheel re-trued.
I might try to do it myself but I would have to drive an hour one way just to get a spoke wrench. I might even make it worse. The bike shop wants about $60 to fix it if fixing is even possible. they say about $100 for a new rim and adjusting derailleur. I have a couple other bikes I have worked on and made better but not perfect. I'm trying to learn all this stuff but will likely just get the new rim for $100 rather than spending $60 on fixing one that may never be perfect.

I don't ride hard enough to bend rims all the time, so it's not as if I will be riding on a warped and trued rim soon regardless, in which case fixing it would make more sense ,if a new one would need fixed soon anyway.

I can't yet tell much difference in the spokes, possibly some tighter and some looser ,but nothing super obvious just feeling. My main concern is it will fail and I'll have to drag the bike back a few miles to the truck. It won't be as dangerous as if it failed on a landing, cause I don't get airborne.

I only paid $200 for the bike and it really does look new except for the rim. A teen owned it and I figure he landed hard when he first got it, and basically quit riding after he saw it was warped.