View Single Post
Old 07-30-19, 01:54 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
The Nissan Thermos bottle up there is good, but I am not sure about the other pictured or mentioned ones. When the cap lacks insulation, all the heat exchange flows through there. Can you open and close the bottle with one hand only? If you have hot liquid in the bottle will you burn your lips or not? Can you hold and shake the bottle upside down with no leak? A good bottle needs to meet all such check marks. Coloring is likely to rub off over time and make the bottle look repugnant while it rubs off.
The ones I wrote about, the caps are not insulated but things stay cold for 3 or 4 hours and cool a few hours longer. With the Hydro Flask caps, you can open/close them one handed with the flick of the thumb. Not so with the Takeya caps which the smaller cap needs to be unscrewed in order to get a drink. However, the Hydro Flask cap fits the Takeya bottle and they can be purchased by themselves... but that, of course, would add to the cost of an already not cheap bottle. Both can be shaken, turned upside down or laid on their side without leaks. I've never used either with hot liquids so can't speak to that other than to say there is a high flow rate that comes out from both. I consider that a good thing. For hot liquids my guess is you'd need to be careful about how far you tip the bottle when drinking. Since I've never put hot liquids in, my guess is they would seal just as well as with cold liquids. I'm giving myself some wiggle room with that statement because hot liquids can increase the pressure inside the bottle but OTH, a decrease in pressure (suction even) as it cools. I ordered all of mine with no coloring, just simply the bare stainless steel. Like you I figured over time, the color would get scratched, fade or rub off. They can still scratch but the finish is the stainless metal and it goes all the way through.

Edited to reply to terrymorse. Terry, my Takeya bottles do in fact hold 24 oz. They also make a 18, 32, 40 and 64 oz bottle. I know the one you have pictured isn't a Takeya but it looks the same, even the cap looks the same but different color. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NH4RWLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by LesG; 07-30-19 at 02:03 PM.