View Single Post
Old 11-13-19, 05:37 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
fgfs bikes are not good for "fast and far". I mean, you can ride anything in almost any way you like, but some bikes are more optimized for certain purposes.
If you want a new bike instead of converting your c'mute, kilott is a great "fast and far" kind of a bike.

State looks like they make great frames above a certain price point, but IMO their "core line" is $50-$100 over what it should cost so it makes me weary of all of their other offerings.
But their high end frames look like amazing values, and the geo is on point.

I would do some research into all of your options before buying it. It may be good, or it may be like their core line.

I'm not going to convert the C'mute, that does just fine as a touring/commuting build. I've tweaked it plenty to get it comfy, since the geometry isn't suited to me with a too long top tube.
State last listed these frames for sale in 2013, and priced them around $550 at the time. That said, a trick bike is likely to have more robust construction than a go fast bike. It's listed at $50 out the door, I'd probably have to put on a cheap short stem for fit. State doesn't list weights for their frames, so I'm not sure how it'd measure up to a mid 80s sport frame.