View Single Post
Old 02-26-19, 10:29 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The bike you show is listed at 1600 Brazilian Reals which translates to $427 in US currency. There are not a lot of two wheeled recumbents available at that price here with the exception of some real dogs. The 16 speed (2 X 8) suggests it is an older recumbent bike because most builders started using 2 X 9 or 3 X 9 a long time ago. I still think you would get a more stable handling bike by buying one than by building your own.
Agree. And if his prices for the Performer frameset is in Reals ... 1150 plus 150 shipping ... well you don't need a degree in Advanced Mathematics to figure that its less than 1600 Real (427 USD). I DOUBT a homebuilder can put a BAD frame together for that little money. BTW its just as well that the highracer in the picture is on the other side of the country. Blazing Pedals ran down the essentials for a speedy bike and that one fails the aerodynamics qualifying round big time. Feet are too low and seat recline is not low enough. Weight, I have no idea, but it doesn't look particularly light either. Speed costs money. Real speed costs real money. Interesting that Brazilian's name their currency thus. Having a budget and a need for speed are mutually exclusive. It is VERY hard to make an amazingly light frame with steel. The Performer frames are aluminum. They aren't especially light, but they are stiff and as good as anything else made with aluminum. Most homebuilders cannot weld aluminum. On the BROL site in the Homebuilder section is a recent thread for a mid-racer (probably steel) that has the potential to be very fast. I say potential to be fast because once the frame is finished you need wheels and tires and they also have a profound impact on the final result. TBH I would be looking at Carbon Fiber or even Wood! Aircraft Spruce is strong and light and a good design can give Carbon Fiber a good run for the money. On a hard drive somewhere I have plans I bought (no longer availalbe) from James Robinson for low (and high) racer recumbents in 2 x 4 lumber.