Old 10-07-19, 06:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Men's 4/5 cross race, 16 of either 38 or 40. List was pretty long. Just wanted to see I was in upper half to upper 1/3. Progress.

Done in by the call-ups again. Behind some guys who just didn't gas it at the start. I made a few spots up early but decided to TT it instead of burn too many sprint matches. It worked better, better finish spot. I did recover a bit drafting a guy for a bit then went by. I made a bad error though that cost me catching a group of 5 guys 100 yards up. I lost my lap count and thought I had longer to go. So, last lap was not a bazillion % effort. Womp womp.

So, back to ferret's cross thing about A/B/C working well. I could see that Sunday. The winners were easily way ahead. Shoot couple of the 4/5 winners were bunny hopping barriers like second nature. Also, one of the guys doing super well in 4/5 routinely I heard a few guys giving a hard time at the start because he's on a pretty nice MTB for cross. I didn't care, if it's fair game so be it. I do think though as courtesy if you're close or winning podiums in your races, I think it's time you get a cross bike. I run 32's out of budget right now to not carry extra kit at home, but seeing some the tire I saw among the front folks I'm wondering now "well ****, why not me too".

Shoot, it felt like 75% plus of the the entire place was disc brakes too.

I'm just learning to think like when I competed in elite junior golf tournaments..........you won't win, just get some finishes in.......and get lucky and scare some folks for top 10 once in a while.

I try not to think about how many seconds per lap disc brakes and having several more mm's of tire would save.

But, still, big improvement from race #1 . I need to get a call-up though so I can ride in a group with the front runners for once.

Still fun, I'll do some more. I'll consider modest kit updates like going TL on my spare wheelset and bigger tire.
Likes For burnthesheep: