Old 12-14-18, 01:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
...I've installed a mirror on my left hand side and I always check it before crossing an intersection or passing to the left.
Excellent. A good mirror makes for good confidence. You may want to try a helmet- or glasses-mounted mirror.

I have never liked listening to music with headphones while riding...too isolating from traffic. But for the last seven years I have been listening to spoken word podcasts in my right ear while I bike-commute (now in my 26th year of doing so).

With the proliferation of bike lanes in Colorado Springs I hear fewer curses from driver, and I find myself on the sidewalk less and less. Usually when I ride to an unfamiliar location where I don't have a good on-street option. Although planning ahead with maps on the internet really, really helps with that. I would love to visit my 11-year old self in 1973 and explain that I could not only pull a telephone out of my pocket and look at a map of where I am, but also look at a detailled satellite photo and a street view!

Finally @JonBailey you sound like you have put some thought into bike safety and common courtesy. That in itself can only lead to safer, more enjoyable cycling.

Happy cycling!