View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 03:46 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I'm from drinking culture myself and quite fond of the stuff, both for the taste and the effects on the state of mind. A real drinking culture, where it's woven into the social fabric, has the unpleasant tendency to make people justify why they are not drinking. But a proper drinking culture also comes with social norms in drunk behaviour. DUI has been 'not done' for decades with only a few exceptions, small social circles of usually men that have developped their own values in an atmosphere full of testosteron, can be a rural bar crowd with a lot of petty criminal records, but also sales and marketing men with company BMW's and Audi's with lots of mileage.

It's not circles I'm part of. Imo you have to share some values to be friends, especially concerning alcohol if you drink with your friends those values concern alcohol. People who drive, get aggressive or harass women when drunk can't stay my friends. Intoxication is no excuse to misbehave. I don't preach to my friends and I don't like to be preached to, but that's different from drawing the line somewhere.

I'm completely fine with drunk or otherwise intoxicated cycling. It's not dangerous to others and it keeps people from DUI, while keeping that lovely drinking culture alive. Have a drink, take the bike, I've done that myself many times and drinking to the level that you can't ride a bike anymore is too much to be fun anyway.