Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I'm not necessarily talking about super retro bikes. I'm thinking more about new steel bikes that while traditionally inspired, have modern appointments like disc brakes, modern drive trains, modern geo, whatever. There's many out there that you could get for the same price range as some big brand aluminum thing with a harsh ride. But, clearly, I am biased!

We have discussed Surly and All City.
I know that Specialized (made) a steel bike very akin to the Roubaix......It doesn't seem to be on site any more, but they have one called a Sequoia.
Giant only lists Aluminum and Carbon as road bike materials.
Trek has (surprisingly) re-released the 520 as a disk model.

I am aware of a smattering of Single Speed steel bikes, but not really what we are talking about here.

I would be interested in knowing what else is out there and available.
Speaking for myself I ride between a 59 and 61. It's hard to find a bike in my size, in stock, anywhere without lucking out. As I mentioned before shops don't just ship bikes around for you to try. My experience in dealing with buy before you try bikes is a super well known cheap cost brand and has been very hit and miss as far as fitting charts. Any steel bike I would consider would certainly pass that acceptable cheap threshold.

I had personally intended on following through with a bike purchase from Snyder Cycles, a local builder, but he closed before I commissioned him.