View Single Post
Old 10-07-16, 08:52 AM
Schmiegle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
DADDY'S GOT A NEW PAIR O' SHOES!

With the nice weather quickly transitioning away, I got the urge to get the bike assembled and riding. To do that, I had to find a workable brake solution. As the realization that the current MAFAC brake status was not going to allow me to "just replace the pads"...

Options began to be brain stormed...

1. Medium length Side pull modern brake? Out due to a multitude of factors. Looks, performance, price, all just seemed like a quick fix and not in line with the concept of my vision.

2. Paul Comp Medium Racers. Pretty machines parts. Performance second to none of the center pulls? A bit pricy. I might already have too much Paul Components incorporated anyway.

3. Did some more digging and found a set of Compass brakes! Look great, priced nicely. Not sure on performance & toe adjustment.

4. Polished MAFAC and full refurb kit. Least costly. Classic look. Performance better than side pulls if I can "adjust" the toe angle with a bit of hand pressured coercion!

I chose option 4 as this seemed like the best overall option for price, looks, and performance. If toe angle causes too much SQUAWKING, maybe I'll replace with PC but I really do like how these turned out! Silky smooth after wet installing the brass bushings. Chrome-Moly coated hardware is slick! Love the brass washers over the red BAKE-O-LITE original plastic inserts.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg
Likes For Schmiegle: