View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 02:00 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
I have a couple questions for anyone who has ridden across Canada.

I am planning a cross-Canada trip accompanied by support vehicle so don’t need to carry gear. My hope is to use my endurance bike (Infinito). I’ve ridden centuries and been fine, but haven’t ridden consecutive centuries every day for months, so if my intention is stupid, I’d welcome that judgment (supported by reasoning, I hope). I am fit middle aged guy, if that’s relevant

I had intended to get deeper wheels (40-ish such as Enve 3.4) but just got back from riding in France where the mountains and mistral winds kicked my ass. Since I am not carrying a load, I figure I can get exactly the wrong wheels if I’m not careful: climbing wheels for the mountains that end up being brutal across the prairies or deeper ones that compound the challenges of the mountains. So my question is, if anyone has experienced the terrain across Canada and discovered what wheel depth provides the best net benefit, could they pass that advice along?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I recently completed a tour from Calgary to Vancouver through the Rockies. I had a loaded rig.

I found that the passes through the mountains have a lot of jagged rocks on the shoulder. I encountered a lot of metal debris too. I used 32mm Panaracer Pasela TG/PT tires and rolled over these things with ease, however if I had anything less than a 28mm tire, I'd be concerned.

I did not suffer any flats or wheel failures. Mind you, this was on a loaded rig.

If you're using an endurance bike you want to make sure you have very tough tires. The shoulders are smooth in some parts, but you're in the mountains. Rocks fall all time time or end up on the shoulder.

Note: if you are really interested in getting more specific information, maybe try posting this in the touring forum. A lot of those guys might have info you are looking for as well.

Last edited by BikeWonder; 08-22-19 at 06:38 PM.