View Single Post
Old 10-04-20, 02:59 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Single speed conversion.

My son wanted to change his Schwinn Impact from eighteen speeds to one.

New Velo Orange hubs and Sun CR18 rims from our LBS.
Pillar 2.0/1.8 spokes from Lee Kilpatrick.

The frame has semi-horizontal drop outs but the drive side was half length, a cast in spacer for lack of a better name. I had to hacksaw that out so both were the same length and gain enough take up for the chain.

Bottom bracket & headset both needed serviced so I figured I might as well give it a good wax job while I had it stripped.

UN-55 BB and new bearings in headset. Installed a lighter weight crank from the stash. 46t chainring from stash, no more Bio-Pace for now.

Luc mentioned his brakes squealed, so he got Paul Touring canti brakes and new pads from the stash. Reused his brake levers cause that's what he wanted. He does not share my love for old school four finger levers. Maybe someday.

Salsa Salt Flat 2 bars cause he wanted to try wider. This required more Grip Rings in his color scheme.
Shimano SLR cables & housing. Surly BRH30 rear cable housing stop. Fork crown front housing stop required a low straddle cable so I made tiny "fender" as a safety precaution. The file marks in the photo look big but really aren't. Wabi-sabi.

Thanks to abshipp for helping with the gearing choice.

Likes For eom: