Old 09-26-05, 05:08 PM
dailyrider
Legs are sore

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Raleigh Prestige

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding in the "bike lane" and a guy made a right turn in front of me. Tacoed my front wheel, bent my fork, and wrecked my handlebars, and I remember watching the trunk of his car pass below me. I landed in the street. Ouch. Cops came, I got a ride home, an insurance guy showed up to fix the bike, and that was it. (I wasn't hurt--rubber bones, I guess) I'm sure the driver spent some time in the courthouse finding the right window to pay the fine. BUT...

Despite the fact I could have been killed, I kind of felt sorry for the guy. He just didn't see me. He wasn't looking. He had his wife and kids in the car, and I'm sure he was driving on autopilot.

He was miserable the whole time the cops were grilling him. He had a "U.S. Air Force" bumper sticker on his car, and some Navy enlisted men driving by saw the situation and figured out what happened and really gave him a hard time. They were funny as H$&& and the cop didn't seem to mind them ragging on him.

So, two comments: 1) I don't trust the "bike lane". I don't think I am particularly safe there. 2) Too bad I almost had to get killed to teach just one driver that there are bikes on the road, too. But getting humilated in front of your wife and kids "Hey fly-boy! You probably can't fly any better than you can drive!" must of hurt him more than the crash hurt me. I still laugh when I think about it.