View Single Post
Old 09-27-05, 03:26 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding on sidewalks is dangerous (I think that is what I understand from your post). Drivers do not look on sidewalks for pedestrians or bicyclists. They are focused on the road. If you do take the sidewalk, remember that entering the street from the sidewalk is very dangerous and you have to double and triple check the traffic.
A truism
But there are places where that's where you are, on a sidewalk, due to road design.

At the start of my PM commute, I ride a 'bike path' that is actually a sidewalk along a very busy feeder road. At the 'T' intersection, I press a walk sign, cross on the cross walk, turn left on a sidewalk again, and one block later, enter a sidestreet to continue. You just can't queue on the road at this point. At the light, the right-hand turners are vicious -- even when the light is red and he ped light is 'go'... they just turn without even pausing. I don't even challenge it; I look over my shoulder until I make eyecontact, nose my bike a little to send a signal, and then go. If I just go and ALMOST get whacked... it just wrecks my day emotionally... it IS NOT WORTH CHALLENGING THESE NUTCASES... it has more to do with the design of the intersection, but it's just not worth standing up for my ped rights at this corner if it's too dangerous.

The presence of MORE bikers will change driver's habits. More bikers will mean more bikers are behind the wheel at times. A biker that drives will respect biker rights.

I feel that the best thing to do is ride safely, ride like a vehicle when needed, and obey rules of the road. As incensed as it gets me at times, I find spitting, hurling epithets, and general abusiveness only serves to make me... less happy. And it probably illustrates to drivers that some bikers are creeps too (just like them).

I advocate for taking the high road.
Don't stoop to road rage neandrathal