Old 03-02-21, 08:52 PM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'd put decently fast 28s on the commuter if roads permit. Save the good bike for longer days and better weather. (If the commuter is not a drop bar bike I take that back. 20 miles is a long ways to go if you cannot get comfortably aero in a headwind.) Ride at least two days a week because with just one, it will feel hard. Two becomes routine. And (say) Tuesday, Thursday, weekend - you'll be rolling when spring hits!

Actually I might start on 32s or 35s just to get to know the road and its hazards before I moved up to 28s in the dark. And - important - first ride is on a Sunday! Maybe with a map so if any of it is sketchy, you can try other roads.
I do know the commute okay already and tried it when I was out of shape. I was beat for two days, but I am training this past two weeks and have one more month to get back to speed. Most of the commute is very nice, but the last 4 miles aren't fun as they are more dangerous with traffic. I take precautions and leave extra time to ride very safely. Been around this a long time, but never had a commute of nearing 20 miles one way. Probably best not to push it much. This is going to add a lot of time to my day, but riding a bike is great!

I am not getting any younger! 55 is very different than 40 to be honest. I like to pretend it isn't, but it is. lol
Likes For h_curtis: