Old 03-04-21, 11:36 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,127 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Chorus Monoplanars - Note the sharp curve above the brake pad. Athena and a couple of others are shaped differently. Pad can be obtained form KoolStop.
P1010556 on Flickr

All are single pivot.
Actually, Chorus went through some design changes as well. Those look like a later version of Chorus monoplanars. The earlier version of Chorus did not have the same pronounced curvature above the brake pads and also had a flatter front edge in front of the brake pad bolts.

I'm copying a quote from member bianchigirl from this old thread which shows the earlier version (and her added cobalt nut), and some more notes on Chorus vs. Athena differences:

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
it is very hard to tell between early Athena and the real Chorus. one way the real Chorus and very early Athena (after Athena got the Monoplanor design in '93ish) are identifable from others is the use of a thinner nut behind the cone shaped cap nut.

another difference is the use of the afore mentioned white 'O' ring and the white plastic covering on the wheel guides. the heavier pad mounting area is a Athena detail I believe.

when the rounded brake pads came into vouge I am not certain but I believe it was with Athena.

these look the most like what i would call a real chorus

FWIW these came on my '88 Super Leggera, so I know for sure these are original Chorus, well aside from the capnut

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.