Old 01-16-21, 10:29 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I ride for an hour every day or so, on Chicago city streets, at different times, exploring different directions and routes from my home, out 5-8 miles in any direction--from the loop to Evanston, within 5 miles of the lake--that is, a lot of the north side. Most of the bikers I see fit neatly into 25-35 years old riding either beater mountain bikes or 40 year old road bikes, overdressed (ready for anything with down coats and hoods, no helmet) with small backpacks. None look like they're doing it for any reason other than to get somewhere (not for exercise). I only see electric bikes in specific neighborhoods being used by people who look like they're on short runs. They're in the same age bracket, but more dressed for the moment, and slightly hipper looking. I don't ride the lakefront path, but when I do I see more young training-racer types and bearded 35-45 year old (retro-hippie) commuters with road bikes and single panniers. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone near my age--72.

Yes, as mentioned I do have that 1970 lugged steel with chrome high-end road bike stashed away waiting for the day I have to downsize.

On the original Q, I restarted riding as a pandemic activity in the summer after many years off. I'm in better shape than I have ever been, in every respect. The last time I looked this good might have been 40 years ago (I was never one for exercise or exertion--only for commuting during some periods). My family tree is filled with deaths in the 90s, and one 105 year old, so I may live a bit longer still, regardless of what I do.

Last edited by mdarnton; 01-16-21 at 10:38 AM.