Old 10-26-19, 03:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...When the two trains are in the station, the later train always stops short, as described by @SactoDoug.

The trains discharging passengers always wait until the conductor has observer all the riders crossing the path from the right-sided exits of the train. I presume the engineer has a view of anyone crossing from the other side….
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Mr. Bill has correctly identified this as a diesel line. However, it's a Chicago-style push-pull system with a locomotive at one end only, so half of the time the train is headed by a passenger car with a cab in the front. I can hear these trains coming from pretty far off, but have no idea what the ambient noise is like at that crossing, or if two trains were involved.

[Addendum:]
Originally Posted by CliffordK
So, do the trains have a video system so that the engineers can see what is going on in front of the train no matter which direction it is going?

Obviously they can't stop on a dime, but they can blast a horn that'll wake the dead.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
In a single locomotive push-pull train there is a locomotive on one end and a cab car at the other end. The engineer moves to the appropriate control cab.
Thanks for that comment @livedarklions; indeed that is how the trains are configured. I guess the one train only in the station rule applies here, at least on the trains on my line.

In fact, I know my inbound train homeward is delayed when the outbound signal light is red and that train will wait outside the station perimeter for mine to pass.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-26-19 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added Addendum by CliffordK and mr_bill