View Single Post
Old 04-30-14, 09:40 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Also, I'm not familiar with the Litespeed Blue Ridge. Though it's a Ti bike, it's a touring model, right? I wouldn't say that that's the main limitation on your speed, but perhaps you have it set up for a rather upright position? That could be slowing you down (but giving you more comfort).
Have to agree with MinnMan about the touring bike holding you back as far as maximum attainable speed, i.e. being fast, but not when comparing current fast to past fast on that bike.

I do not care to hurt, punish, or push myself hard as far as spending individual time on my bikes. I will go out and ride 100+ miles but not at breakneck speed or effort, even though an Ironman is 112 miles of biking. Going out doing intervals also isn't my thing.

Riding with guys faster than me does the trick since I just do not want to be dropped. Tomorrow's ride will start with a 26 mile first section and they will go out at 21-22 within 1 mile. 4 miles of bike lane, 55mph highway, we turn off onto local roads. As soon as we do that it is 23 to 26 until the stop. Last week's average for that section was 23.3mph. I will hang on for dear life then take a short pull maintaining whatever the guy who pulled off did and before I flame out I will attempt to up it 2mph for maybe 20 seconds. Getting to 27-28 on my own is hard to do but drafting then upping it a bit is easier and becomes an effort that pays back dividends, especially when I burn up and have to get back on the paceline or be dropped. After the brief rest stop last week I got caught at a stop light while the others moved on. The KID, 42yo, waited until I caught him after about 3/4 of a mile and we proceeded to chase down 2 others. Took us 9 miles to catch them and then we continued to do most of the pulling until the next stop. Total distance for that section was 12.25 and we averaged 23.7mph. Rides like this is what has helped me get faster and I am expecting tomorrow will be a bit harder.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-30-14 at 09:44 AM.