View Single Post
Old 01-24-17, 06:07 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I worked in EP for 15 years, using the SWLRT when I could, roads are always crappy and side-paths are less-than wonderful.
You mean during the winter? The side-paths are great during the summer, I couldn't imagine anything better short of a dedicated bike highway with bridges so you don't have to cross intersections lol. It's about ideal in my opinion.

In the winter they're a little more iffy, they do plow them though - but the priority is "streets first, then side trails". Depending on the weather they can be a bit bumpy because of packed down ice, but they do get plowed. You need some alternative transportation to work on the days when it's snowing that day.

The limestone on the SWLRT is good most of the year (& always messy), but spring melt is total peanut butter. I was down in EP on Friday to meet some friends for lunch, rode the SWLRT with my fatbike, what a mess with this January thaw! Anything less than 4" tires would leave you walking.

My jeans and bike were clean before this ride:
Lol yeah, that looks practically clean compared to the day I biked it after it rained with a "I'm just going to make it through it" attitude.

A couple friends just posted a new route option from Hopkins to EP, I haven't mapped it yet, but these were his note: K-Tel > Shad Oak > Dominic > Jorissen > Rowland > Baker. This doesn't help with the Bloomington route, but if OP moves to EP.
Sure, but I got the feeling that moving to EP might have been motivated by the "easy" access to the bike trail. You don't realize it's not paved from a map.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 01-24-17 at 10:21 PM.