View Single Post
Old 08-22-12, 06:49 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think that some people need to give up certain foods that act as overeating triggers for them and others can simply eat less of them. I find that it is very difficult for me to keep my calories in check if I eat sugary foods. I don't know if it is behavioral, hormonal or a bit of both, or what is the cause, I just know that it is problematic so it is best if I stay away. I even find the snacks that I take on long bike rides a problem. I can store gels without eating them off the bike. But I gave up Clif bars because I would eat them when not riding. Um! Salty! Sweet! Why tempt myself by having them around?

I don't follow this 100% of the time. Today we are having company and I am making an angel food cake. I will have a piece and we will send most of the remaining cake home with the company.

When my spouse and I are in the same place I eat a different diet from when I am alone as he is a vegetarian. I do eat meat when alone but rarely do I eat beef or pork but it is a case of preference, not because they are problematic for me.

I have done a few "experiments of one" when I was losing weight and after I lost weight. I have high cholesterol and was disappointed that the weight loss caused no change in my blood lipid profile. So, I tried a variety of different eating plans to see if it made a difference. If I go extremely low fat I can make the numbers go down a bit. This means absolutely no meat, no cheese, low in vegetable fats and very high on fiber. Very unappetizing. Otherwise, the lipids stay about same whether I am eating a high fat diet/low carb or moderately low fat diet and heavy on the better carbs. Either way, I need the statins and fortunately I do not seem to have side effects from taking them. This shouldn't have been a surprise because I have been on statins for close to 30 years, even before I was overweight.