View Single Post
Old 08-31-19, 12:01 PM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
If the bike shop gets fed up with you wanting to try multiple sizes, walk out and find another. With that said, if the bike shop was helpful, and you end up buying used, be sure to go back and throw the shop some business by getting some kit/tools/accessories.

Having to use a 90mm stem isn't going to suddenly make the front ends super twitchy. You'd probably notice a bit of a difference if you rode the bike back-to-back with a 110 and 90, but you get used to it/adjust quickly.
Also, stem length will have less of an impact on a bike with relaxed geometry (i.e. endurance) that it would on one with race oriented geometry.

Another thing to consider is handlebar choice...you could easily alter the reach +/- 10mm based on the shape of the bars (trek uses bars with an insanely long reach, for example)

Ideally, you want to find a bike that allows you to run a minimal amount of spacers, but yes, if you are buying used, then you do need to consider the height at which the steer tube as been cut. If it's too short, you'll need a new fork. Or find a different bike.
Not too worried about that. Spent $400 there the other week on my first pair of shoes and pedals and a balance bike and helmet for my daughter. I'm sure they'll get money from me.

I'll keep that in mind regarding the handlebars. Is there any difference in handling changing handlebars vs. stem length? What about stem angle (more upright would shorten reach while behaving like a spacer?) or crank length (longer crank means I can move the seat a little more forward to reduce reach, maybe?) as ways to adjust the for? Or do those cause more problems than they solve?

How much steer tube is usually available on new bikes, i.e. how much spacer could you typically add?