Thread: Cook stove fuel
View Single Post
Old 02-01-21, 10:47 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I did my first tour (1 month, 1k miles SF to Grand Canyon) with a multi-fuel stove, an Optimus Nova. The problem I had with white gas was it actually wasn't all that available where I was, and when I did find it, it was always by the gallon. That takes a long time to use. Are you going to carry it? Leave it behind? That's why a lot of people burn gasoline in multi-fuel stoves. You can fill a bottle in your cage for around fifty cents and it can last a week.

All that said, a week into my next tour, I switched to a Jet Boil. The Optimus become unreliable. The pump plunger dried out and I couldn't get it re-hydrated and the needle/jet got clogged and has never been the same. Too fidgety, too much trouble. The Jet Boil isn't great either as it's hard to find fuel canisters in remote areas, they don't last long if you're actually cooking on it (not just boiling water), and they're expense ($5 a week in fuel instead of fifty cents a week).

Next tour I may just leave the kitchen stuff at home and eat food that doesn't need to be cooked.

This was all solo experience, BTW

Last edited by Brett A; 02-01-21 at 10:51 AM.