View Single Post
Old 02-02-21, 10:10 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by oj.
That sounds cool I've never heard of that, I'll be sure to have a look. Certainly sounds like a totally alternative method of making bikes
Here's the best article I have found about Schwinn electroforging. It shows the process in pretty sufficient detail:
https://sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

And here's a video showing a brief view of the process being used to attach chainstays. Around 0:17 to 0:27.

I think the discussion at the end of the Sheldon article is interesting. I wonder if they had just hung on a little longer, if we'd have a competitive high-quality lightweight factory means of producing steel frames. Or would cheap labor nullify any gains that could be made from machines? Who knows.

Last edited by scarlson; 02-02-21 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For scarlson: