Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
My mountain bike rides rarely end up with less than 1000m climbed and I avoid asphalt at all costs. I only ride on the road to get to the trails, a couple of km from where I live at most. I just like being able to pedall downhill if needed, and I like to pedal at a comforatble cadence when it's flat. If I want to ride on the road I have a road bike for that.

I agree that its a minor issue that affects a small part of my rides. Nontheless, it's an issue that 20 year old tramsissions didn't have, and it bothers me.
Different strokes I guess. We all have our preferences. Hopefully they keep making 2x options for folks like you, because like you say, range or spacing still has to give going to 1x. 12sp has reduced the compromise somewhat, but it is still there.

In my case, 20 years ago I was pulling off the big ring to convert 3x to 2x and wishing they made wider range 9 sp cassettes so I could go 1X.

I see Microshift now has an 11-46t 9 speed cassette. I’d have been all over that 20 years ago.