Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Hmm. I'd typically filter to the front, even if there's no way of crossing the intersection until light turns green. The alternative otherwise could be sitting 10th in line at an intersection, with 9 cars in front, and another 10 behind me. That's not terribly comfortable, not knowing who might think there's enough time to accelerate past me, get to the intersection and make that right turn before I get to the same intersection to cross. Of course I guess I could fully take the lane, and then anger motorists by being slower and making them miss the green and having to wait for another light change.
That's selfish and inconsiderate. If a cyclist is selfish and inconsiderate enough to do that to me, I won't worry about being inconsiderate in passing that cyclist if I want to pass them later. In talking to motorists, this is one complaint I hear often. When the cyclist cuts to the front, then holds up the very motorists they just passed, it pisses motorists off and rightly so. It's one thing when a motorist whines about me slow rolling a stop when it has nothing to do with them. It's a legitimate gripe when cyclists cutting in line ends up delaying a motorist. Maybe it's a societal value that we don't share, but cutting in line, when it does or may affect others is, inconsiderate in my society.

In the situation you described being 10th in line, I would have no trouble at all accelerating with traffic for those 10 car lengths. If I were to filter all the way to the front and couldn't accelerate for a few car lengths with traffic, then I'd surely hold up all of the vehicles that were proceeding straight through the intersection.

I'll reemphasize that if I can filter to the front and not delay motorists who proceed straight through the intersection, then I may filter.