Old 06-02-06, 10:45 AM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teamawe
I always laugh seeing rec level riders posting in threads like this and using it as justification for riding alone. Ride alone if you want, but until you have been in a double paceline hammering at 99% of max and trying to see the wheel in front of you through your sweat (and the sweat flying off the guys in front of you) dont justify yourself by judging those who have.

As for a grab of the jersey, do some of you folks realize how much contact there is at race pace? A soft touch to the hip to let a guy know that you are passing or next to him (so he doesnt swerve into you) etc. Make you feel alot safer knowing that others are comunicating for mutual safety.

As for yelling, /sigh, I cant hear crap at 20mph much less 30.

I'm not elite, dont race, but ride lots and do it as fast as I can. I have worked VERY hard to be in the shape I am and can't fathom the dedication it takes to be a 1 or 2. That can all be taken away by someones inexperience. Folks like to talk about racers 5k bikes, its more the years of training and last 3 4 or 5 months of pure pain they have gone thru to get in the shape they are in that racers fear losing. They have an INVESTMENT they are trying to protect. We participate in a dangerous sport, they are at the front end of that. I have NEVER met a guy that wouldnt help a noob out when asked, so long as it wasnt while he was training.
great post.

might I add:

ES probably doesn't care if people think he's a snob. He's gettin' the job done. And it's their paceline with their own internal dynamics. Elitist? If he's haulin' at 30 mph in a paceline, he's at a different level than most folks. At those speeds he's in a different world. CAT 2? Close enough to elite for me. Remember, one's not elite for very long. So if you're there or close to being there; more power to you. But if you step on people while you're "up" there; they might not catch you when you come down. DrPete was right ... the OP was condescending. But he's contributed a lot here so it's a wash.

People, if he's yelling at you. Get thicker skin. Call him names if you want. Learn. It's pretty hard to articulate when your HR is above LT. So, it's not personal. Thing is. He's not yelling at you. Don't take offense. Or judge. Or get so riled up.