Thread: Vintage-y tent?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-19, 03:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I used a couple different solo tents and a couple tents rated at two people. I find that for a week, I can get by with a solo tent but for a month long trip I want to be able to spread out a bit better and bring more of my gear into the tent with me. Two of my two person tents below.

I did several cycling trips with an REI Nitelite. It was 3,005 grams, add another 460 grams for ground sheet. Photo below. Weighs too much but was a great tent in the wind.

Then I bought a Big Agnes Scout Plus. It is a trekking pole tent, poles not included. I made some tent poles that are short enough when folded to fit in a pannier. With poles, that tent with a plastic ground sheet is 1,565 grams. About half the weight of the other tent that it replaced. Not a self supporting tent and when you are on a wood platform, not easy to stake out when you are trying to jam twigs between the planks to use as stakes. This tent has a lot of condensation, I would never recommend it for two people but as a solo tent I can be careful to avoid touching the ceiling.

I like both tents but when I am pedaling up a steep hill, I kind of like the one that weighs only half as much better.