View Single Post
Old 04-25-13, 12:37 PM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really appreciate the solid advice. I was hesitant posting this, thinking that everyone would be like "BIKING IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO !" - but in all honestly, you've all given great feedback.

Originally Posted by contango
Depending what that 40% means to you I'd seriously consider it. If it means the difference between just about getting by and having a good chunk of change to spare each month I'd say you should ask whether you're being selfish in not taking it.
My current salary is slightly over the average salary for the area. Considering CA is so expensive, it doesn't go extremely far - but it helps that we got out of debt several years ago, and have lived by that rule since. My wife also doesn't work (by choice), so it would be a nice bump.

40% would help us save more each month, and allow us to probably be a little more liberal about being able to take a family vacation. We're good at saving. One day we'd like to buy a house, not sure if it will be out here - even though we'd like to.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Hmm, tough call -- don't forget to factor in the cost of driving when doing the math on your salary upgrade.
That's why the salary is so high. I turned down the job - TWICE. Simply because the commuting costs. This morning they dropped a much larger offer in my inbox this morning, to compensate for the drive.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Move your home to within a shorter distance to ride from.
Thought about it. But I really like the area we live. Plus, right now we're .8 miles from the beach.

Originally Posted by caloso
An hour of car commuting or an hour of bike commuting?
Current job: 15-20 minutes by car, 30-35 minutes by bike

Possible future job: 1 hour - 1.25 hours by car.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I did the same thing a few months ago.

Got an effective raise of 46% but picked up a two hour (round-trip) commute. It's been a net positive, mainly because the increased income has pushed me into a lifestyle where I actually have discretionary funds. I do hate driving though; once I'm able, I plan to go back to walking/cycling to work as I had done for the majority of my commuting the previous 7-8 years.
That's about what this position will do for me. I've even considered setting a time limit - a year or two max, in order to get the experience I've wanted, then to move, or find another position without the commute.

Originally Posted by treadtread
It depends on what stage of life you're at, and how you are placed financially. Me - I have to start saving for my son's college. I'd do it - sometimes you make sacrifices for the family, and sometimes its the other way around.
Just turned 30. Couple kids. Started a college fund a while back for them - but have been at a tipping point in my career for the past two years. It's been time to move on for a while - it's just sucking it up and making the leap.

Originally Posted by matimeo
Sounds like a great opportunity. You have to consider your earning potential over time is going to be a lot more (sounds like) at this new job. I hate a long commute by car, so hopefully you could move closer at some point.
I struggle with how this is going to affect me long term. I do not think the position is worth what they are offering - however, they are having a hard time recruiting for it because of location. The salary level is adjusted to account for the commute. So long term, it could put me at a new level, but then I can see potential employers saying "we can't afford to pay you what you're currently making." If that makes sense.

Then again, what I consider a great salary is pennies compared to what a lot of people make. Don't know... Went to a training class one year, and a guy with a couple years more experience was making 6 TIMES what I made. Another guy 2-3 TIMES. These were both more experienced people - maybe I'm just underestimating myself - but this is also a chance to jump into that "senior" role - that kinda freaks me out.

Originally Posted by neil
If it's one factor in a combination of issues that make the job undesirable, though, I wouldn't jump at a job you don't want just because of the pay.
That’s what I’m trying to determine. It would impact me more than just biking. Just not sure how much at this moment..

Originally Posted by neil
The key here, though, is that my family is financially stable, though not exactly rich, in our current position.
Very nice. Thanks Neil.