Old 06-06-19, 11:01 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
i wonder where this person got his busiest bikepath in netherlands numbers, admittedly i did not watch the whole vid but for the minute i saw it didn't look like anything above your average bikepath traffic in any dutch city.

as for some comments i read while skimming through thread i'll do give some answers per topic.

ebikes: someone mentioned ebikes and commuting speed looking slower than em. for the past couple of years ebikes have been getting more and more popular specially in the 50+ population. they tend to usually ride at the lower end of their ebike speed capacity, as i tend to pass em pretty often.

clothing: There isn't a mentality of taking extra clothing for your commute here, you just do some math as to how long it will take you to get to work at a pace were you won't overheat/sweat and leave home at appropriate time.

dropbars: dropbar commuting is pretty rare most just take their dutch style "omafiets" with basket and rack to throw their stuff in/on. that said take any weekend or after office hours just outside any city center and you will see tons of people fully kitted on roadbikes riding solo or in groups.

helmets: helmets are very rarely used here specially when commuting. it is mostly the realm of those fully kitted individuals riding for fun and exercise after working hours.

riding behaviour/traffic: there is a simple rule here, hear a bell or scooter horn and merge to the right to let them pass. most of the time you are riding along path with at least one person you know so you end up just chatting and biking side by side until whoever is on left hears a bell and merges momentarily. not that hard really. as for the person sayign about amsterdam biking being nerve wrecking, withing a radius of 2 km from central station to the south., will be the busiest bike paths you will find. lots of delivery guys on scooters in a hurry, lots of tourists being completely overwhelmed and lots of people breaking some sort of rule to get to where they need to be faster. i find it pretty fun to be honest. if you need to pull over put your hand out signalling you are pullign over to warn whoever is behind you and it's all good. and do not pull over to keep your bike on bikepath whiel you stand and search google maps, then you're just being a dick. hop on to sidewalk and check your maps then hop back in bikepath.