Old 10-27-19, 06:44 PM
Raptor1956

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I'm not exactly sure what your current setup is, but if flats are a significant problem, you might want to look at something like the Continental Gator Hardshell. This is what I run during fall and winter due to the absolutely massive amount of crap that is on the roads here in those months. I basically never get flats. Virtually never. I don't even carry a tube and gear with me, that's how uncommon it is. So, they are definitely worth looking into in my opinion.

The other thing to maybe think about is just going tubeless. That could help address the problem as well. Something else to possibly consider.

There are a couple parts to the frequent flats problem I think. First, there are sections of the Jordan River Parkway trail that are littered with goatsheads that will pop you tire easy so, in addition to other issues with that stretch of the JRP, I've decided to avoid that stretch and either do the Saltair route or the northern part of the JRP into the Legacy Parkway route -- much better pavement with fewer large gaps (pinch flat issue) and fewer stupid people. The other thing is replacing the worn tires that I probably should have replaced much earlier. I hope to pickup a pair of new tires within the next month or so and hopefully, that and my lower weight should minimize the flats problem. My current tires are 700x23C and I plan to go with 700x25C which should give an added margin for pinch flats.

Brian