View Single Post
Old 11-01-07, 08:25 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Bikes: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (dark red) and Sekine 1975 SHL-270 mixte (forest green). Past: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (forest green; stolen 2013); Peugeot 103 (red mixte, retired); 1974 Sekine SHS-271 (blue, stolen 2007); 1975 Sekine SHC-270 (green, dead).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sekine city gallery?

[The thread bumps.]

It is the thread that won't die, and there's something that might interest a few of you on here.

I carry a digital camera with me pretty much everywhere I go now. One of the projects I've been working on since the fall began is photographing every single Sekine that I stumble across (and every 70s-era Canadian-built Peugeots, since I'm on the search for a very specific model/colour that I hope to convince the owner to one day sell, but that's for another thread).

For the Sekine frames, I tend to shoot two features: the whole bike where I found it parked, and the serial series on the bottom bracket.

It started out as an accidental project after one of my Sekines was stolen in hopes that I might run across it (close call once, but no cigar). But what's come of it since has been nothing short of amazing (to me, at least). I've seen plenty of SHAs (a couple in sad shape), a couple of nicely cared-for SHBs, many SHCs (with the wide-type labelling), a handful of SHCs (with the art deco labelling), and at least a couple of SHS/SHTs -- but no SHXs (that I'm aware of). I've found one SHA-based women's frame and one SHA-based mixte, too.

I've yet to find one exactly like my 25" SHC forest(?) green daily rider, but I've come close: a beat-up 23" like mine (with the art deco label). But there's a tiny detail difference: my frame lacks that heart-shaped, frame-welded piece upon which the shifters rest, while the 23" beater has it -- as do most Sekines I run across. Does anyone know whether that helps pin down the vintage of the bike? Anyway, I've run into that particular bike in a couple of places, and I've taken advantage of capturing both bikes in the same shot.

If I were to go through my photos and make them a little less large, would there be any interest in posting a gallery of them here on this thread? Or should this thread go dead?

Last edited by accozzaglia; 11-01-07 at 08:31 PM. Reason: copy editing, cleaning up