View Single Post
Old 11-03-07, 11:47 PM
accozzaglia
Velosaurus Ancientus

Bikes: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (dark red) and Sekine 1975 SHL-270 mixte (forest green). Past: Sekine 1974 SHS-271 (forest green; stolen 2013); Peugeot 103 (red mixte, retired); 1974 Sekine SHS-271 (blue, stolen 2007); 1975 Sekine SHC-270 (green, dead).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sekine street gallery

[Is there a way to reduce display size from within bikeforums.net? I wanted to resize these to 800x600, but the IMG tags don't seem to allow for options. Thanks.]

Originally Posted by skyrider
Dont let it die. I would love to see those pics .They dont have to be all at once, just to keep the interest up. After all ,thats what were here for. Sekine has a great history and story. Im a proud owner of a $15 sekine that I commuted on through two Canadian winters. Take Care
OK, I'm going to post a couple here now, and every once in awhile, I'll add another to the thread. That way, it'll give you all a chance to not get too overwhelmed all at once. This post will feature two photos, because the first is a shot of my bike next to the closest "sibling" I've run into around town:

Shot last Thursday at university. My bike, the "Great Space Coaster", is the 25-inch, "lime green" SHC model in front, leaned against the more beat-up, fork-modified 23" SHC sibling model that I often run into around town. It's probably a year newer, based on one frame feature that mine lacks: the heart-shaped welded bit along the downtube which "supports" the Shimano Fingertip shifters.

And I think I might have the serial series for the other bike, but it's buried in other photos from probably back in September [my bike's serial begins with Z, so I think that's either 1975 or 1976, give or take]. It'll make an another appearance here later.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is why a minority of Sekines use this art deco type style, whereas all the others use a broad, Eurostile-like type treatment. Sometimes I'll see two models that otherwise look like the same year (based on parts), but the downtube type treatment differs. I've become partial to the art deco ones.

Shot in August. It's the only mixte Sekine I've seen so far, and I'm guessing that they weren't ever that common. And with a colour like "sand", I can totally see why (certainly nothing like the gorgeous offerings by Peugeot from around the same time). This is probably an SHA, given the parts, rear dropouts, and badge.