View Single Post
Old 09-21-18, 08:50 PM
AbiliTTV

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 1988, I had many Schwinn bikes all ten speeds, road bikes, and some Raleigh bikes as well. One GT, some huffy models MTB's mainly.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.

I am pleased as a punch to report I took it out on from 10am to 2PM around my Towne village, and to the local park.

All of the main mechanics are (knock on my forehead ) working spot on. I have gone down a few curbs, over a bit of grassy field as I expected it was able t handle that sort of off road.

Taken her down a death hill as I call it.... Only cars can handle it. Most people can't even walk up it..

I realized I need some power in my brakes. So will save for Shimano Deore V Brakes.

The brakes I gave are V style brakes thst offer a soft brake feel. Even when I have them adjusted to produce a firm hard stop.

Oh yeah I am carrying a 25 lb boombox, and towing my wheelchair everyplace I go.

I originally used a camping chair frame for the main support of the rear rack.

I was just going to adjust it when I decided to have some fun with a rim I removed the spokes from.

I cut it in half, and adapted the ends to attach to the bike rear and the upper had holes for alignment for the top of the rack.

I then took two neck/handlebar holders and attached them to the rear of the flat part. Took one handlebar and slid it into the necks and tightened down.

​​​​​​This configuration is about 200% or more stronger than my oiginal ​​​​ design.

It is also about 50% lighter.

The bike weighs in at about 70lbs
The rear rack weighs about say 10 lbs.
​​​​​Boombox is 25 lbs plus say 5lbls its saddle that keeps it from falling.

Then the tow hook weighs 5 lbs
The wheelchair weighs 15 to 20 lbs. TiLite ZRA series 1

​​​​​​In the short time I have used this my arm and chest mules as well as my core mules have been working hard.

Imagine a weight workout for your upper body and cardiovascular at the same time.

My arms are already bulkier than ever with just my wheelchair.

And, man is this comfortable to ride. When I park and transfer to my wheelchair I quickly realize how comfortable I built this to be.

My handcrank design gives me two hand holds. One for flat roads, the other when starting from a dead stop going up hill... And, taking breaks on the hill.

If you imagine a rowing type feeling, I get to pull and push my way up hills.

This builds up stamina like no tomorrow.

From what a neighbor says his son has a nice handcycle and he told me, his son says it tires him out. Thst it is one heck of a hard workout.

I told him I noticed that also, and that is exactly why I built this as I did.

​​​​​​I have gotten her up to 30 MPH down hill and zero shimmy.

To see more if interested of course my Instagram is AbiliTV

All in all this bike has turned out 1000% better than I ever hooped.

I ride every other day to allow muscle development just like at a gym.

The real kicker is everything is bolted together no welds yet have been done to her.

I figure if I can't get things stable and solid with bolts... I don't trust a weld to hold up much better.

​​​​​​And, thanks. Everyone that sees her is amazed at the fact I use my arms and blown away when I say I built it from scratch. No plans, no video. Just out of my head as I went.

​​​​​​