Old 03-02-19, 01:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
For my part, I try to be so bright, day and night, that drivers complement me on my visibility. I don't think folks realize that drivers are more afraid of hitting us than we are afraid if being hit. They are the ones who come upon us in difficult situations and have to take action to avoid us. I try as hard as I can to assuage their fear, which mostly consists of being very visible a mile away, day or night.

I have long distance sailor friends whom I helped experiment with man overboard lights. They put the lights on a fence post on an unlit very long straight stretch, at night, turning on one light at a time, then drove a mile away, then 2 miles, and assessed. That was very illuminating (sorry). Most MOB lights did not pass this test though that was many years ago. It's totally worth the time to do that, both daytime and night time.

I don't look on these sorts of things as blame games, rather they are learning opportunities. For instance, I no longer bomb descents with hidden driveways, nor more than I would ski in dangerous avalanche terrain. I understand that some people have a much higher risk tolerance.