Old 06-14-19, 03:46 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Clydesdale vs Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Hi all. Not new to cycling but new-ish to this forum. Me: 53, 5'10" and currently heading down scale at 240.

Had an opportunity to piick up a Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc from a craigslist seller a month or so ago that I couldn't refuse. It was the right size - a medium -, has Di2, disc brakes, etc... really checked off all of the boxes... the asking price was far less than I could have purchased a new bike with half the features... Figured I could probably rehome the components onto a less aggressive frame with this purchase for less than I could buy the components themselves...

Since purchasing I've put about 250 miles on the bike. It too is a little too long for me right now but I think as I continue to lose weight I'll be able to bend further forward and the reach will be less and less a problem.

Anyway as I continue to ride it I am beginning to think about my weight and the frame/wheel set. I'm pretty careful on the bike - I don't hammer my way through potholes or other road hazards on the saddle - I try to get up and out so I can unweight as I go over them - and I know Giant says the frame is good up to 275 lbs (though per their email they did mention that max load over long periods of time will cause damage) but I still wonder whether i ought to swap the wheel set out for something with a few more spokes and maybe an alloy hoop...

Anyone have any thoughts on how much at risk this wheelset is given my weight?

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by ronin4740; 06-14-19 at 03:57 PM.